Skip to main content
It Pumps

My heart screams with wild ache
and quiets itself down.
My impulses are benched
and my fight waves its white flag.
My brain swells and pounds while my eyes widen and mouth drools.
The taste of something I can't understand is flirting with me.
My fears ebb and flow and
as my appreciation balloons my hope's roots grow deep.
Written after the first day on the job of Australia Red Cross. 9/2/12 (Feb. 9).

 A beautiful wildflower at Airlie Beach I spotted on the walk home from a day trip to the Whitsunday Island. The date on this is incorrect...it was 2012. 

Emerlad, Queensland at the Botanical Gardens.

Comments

  1. the journey, personal, triumphant,challenging,unforgettable. So happy to get your blogs. How did that nomenclature find its way into such an important journnaling tool. Keep writing. Poem is a wonderful expression of your flood of emotions. The best way to overcome fear is to face it and conquer it, then it has no ability to create fear any longer. Success is the best treatment for insecurity.you are accomplishing all of this. Challenge is your friend. All my love and with Gods grace and protection your journey will unfold just the way it is supposed to. Share these thoughts with those you love so they may better see you and your purpose, whatever that may be. It will become you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Red Cross, very cool! New job or volunteer opportunity? So proud of you and miss you terribly!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The blog is born: JESSTRALIA Apart from the obvious clever combination of words, you should know that the inspiration came from the local pronunciation of the country I now reside, ‘stralia.  The purpose of this blog is to track my adventure, publish the beauty of Australia, tap into a new creative outlet, keep connected and share my experiences with family and friends. I am expecting this blog to include shout-outs, quotes, photos, experience summaries, personal insights, Australian goodies and interesting information! Many of you witnessed the chaotic transition that was me moving to Australia. It was a time sprinkled with Austin outings, wine, cries, anxieties, hugs, sales, smiles and “see ya laters” instead of “goodbyes”. Words are a sorry excuse for the gratitude my heart explodes with for all of yall's support, encouragement, ears, love and help getting ready to leave.

Cricket, not the insect, the game

Remember when you were younger sitting in math class chewing on the end of your eraser watching the slow moving clock tic while swimming around in your head about all the practical jokes you’re going to play on your friends? Well, you can have this feeling again if you go to a cricket match. OR you can do what I did and people watch, learn enough about the game, listen to people call cops WANKA’s, talk to girls from Sydney and read the newspaper. You have three options for match lengths: 3 hours, 9 hours or 5 days.   I went to the 9 hour match and quickly checked cricket off of my bucket list. I’m partially joking, but only partially. Here is the thing. Cricket is like baseball but slower. It is a game that is introduced to little vegimites at a young age, played at BBQ’s and covered widely on the news. It is played at a similar open aired stadium and the seats sell out fairly quickly. One big difference: there is only one kind of beer sold at a cricket ...

Hey, Australia Immigration, it’s me, Jess.

Yup, again.  I have fully enjoyed your country while I have been here for just over 5 months. The beautiful weather, breath taking scenery and landscapes, amazing and inspiring people, delicious seafood, curious but delicious meat pies, cappuccinos on every corner and rugby games are just a few things I have delighted in while here. I don’t feel finished exploring and loving your country quite yet though.   I understand that there is only one way for me to stay in Australia and that is through sponsorship through an employer. I feel safe blaming America’s ill fostered international relationship with Australia for the lack of other feasable options that allow me to contribute to the workforce.  Here is the thing, I am leaving for Texas in October for my best friend’s very special wedding and I need to know if I am going to find sponsorship before I book my flight mid August. So, here is my very specific request to the univers...