Skip to main content

I Learned How to Hug a Porcupine



After living in Austin for 9 years, working hard, going to college, obtaining my Masters in Social Work, volunteering, working three jobs at once and having a decent social life I needed a change. I felt like there was something more and I wasn’t finding it in Austin. 
I met this guy in Italy during my Euro adventure after graduation in 2007. This handsome, kind, funny, talkative, smart, sweet and sensual man and I kept in touch with for five years. He happened to be Australian. After conversing for some time we were both single in 2010- I met him in Sydney and then he came to Austin.

Sometimes you reach a certain point in your life that you just have to take that jump. The first leap I ever took was with my brother when we jumped out of an airplane at 17,000 feet on his 25th birthday. The second leap that I took was by myself to Australia.


I ran through the motions. I figured out the visa, I submitted my qualifications, I had my license notarized, I did my research, I saved for a year, I networked with anyone that would listen, I found a place to live when I got to Australia, I made sure all my friends had Skype downloaded, I visited my most favorite places in Austin, I changed addresses, I quite my job, I sold most of what I owned, I moved out of my house, I had going away party at 219 West because it was figured that if you walked and canoed from Texas to Australia it would take you 219 days (an alternative plan to flying), I tidied up my activities, I said goodbye to my friends and family, I took a deep breath and I jumped.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I arrived in Australia the day before my 27th birthday to meet the Australian who sweetly had arranged transportation and accommodation at the Sunshine Coast to welcome me and celebrate with me. It was perfect. 
Within the span of a month I had a working cell phone, a great job, a room in a beautiful house in a gorgeous neighborhood with great flat mates which I would later call friends, a make shift plastic bag dresser organizational system and a pretty good idea of how to use the public transportation system. 
As time passed I found myself in love, traveling with the Australian, organizing visits with friends and family, working contract jobs that were allowing me to network and take time off for travel, deepening my yoga practice, figuring out my calling, meeting inspirational people and having the time of my life!



As the time approached that I knew I would be attending my best friend’s wedding back in the states I tried to plan whether or not I was going to be returning to Australia, the country that I had fallen in love with that housed my love, my new friends and my new life. There were two things that would keep me in Australia: 1. Sponsorship with an organization where I could work and grow professionally, 2. The Australian. Neither of these worked in my allotted time frame.


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As Nelly Furtado says “All good things come to an end” but unlike the very talented and beautiful Ms. Furtado I do not think this is the end to my story, and instead just a part of it.
Sometimes your visions do not materialize into the reality you imagined but that doesn’t mean you stop dreaming.
All in all, I learned how to appreciate and have gratitude for my experiences even if they don’t work out the way I had expected and wished.
If my gratitude was a hug and the total of my experiences (preparations, courage, new career path, love, new friendships and an unexpected ending) was a porcupine, then I do say I learned how to hug a porcupine.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pin Your Ears Back

Is a term I heard from my friend, Craig, at a rubgy (aka footy) game a couple of weeks ago. There was a player struggling to plunge his body forward towards his goal line. I inquired what this loud sportsmanship request meant because I couldn’t work it out. To much of Craig’s surprise, I had no idea what this phrase meant and I was unsure about the context just as I am unsure how many rugby players can be on the field at once. So, he simply explained that “Pin Your Ears Back” when and when not screamed by a proud but disappointed fan simply means “Just go for it.” I laughed and thought to myself “that is my next blog entry.” Gold Coast. Love little Alex in the corner. Rafting down the Barron River. Hunter Valley Winery Tour   The reason this statement resonated with me so much is because it is true. We MUST go for it. We must throw the fear to the side and dive, cannonball or pencil jump into the cold deep end. We must thrust ourselves forward, meet strangers, take

Turning Over a New Leaf

I love to eat. I do it at least five times a day because I am what they call a “snacker”. I have eaten a regular American diet most of my life, which means I have excluded no food from my diet (meat, plants, sugar, cooked, raw, etc). I love the taste, texture, cultural experiences and the warmth and comfort food provides. If you know me than you know 60% of my diet consists of raw plants anyways. On my recent visit to China I have found myself re-working what my food intake and aftermath experience means to me and have come to the conclusion that food is not just good; it is fuel and my main living source and something that I love to share. I have been experiencing changes all year, included but not limited to the country I live in, the job I have, the friends I surround myself with and the places I travel (inevitable the food I eat). I have grown exponentially this year constantly challenging myself to live a different place, take different jobs, make di

Bent Bookmarked Pages are so Yesterday

It is such a treat to have the bright, beautiful, inspirational blogger, crafter and vegan as a friend and guest poster. Alana is a generous and creative soul that calls Paddington, Australia home. I had the pleasure of getting to know her in my travels and found what it looks like when someone is truly and genuinely themselves and dedicated to authenticity. Alana is a walking, talking, cooking, studying, and crafting animal rights and eco friendly ethical soul. I dare you not to fall in love with her Ever get lost on the page you were reading? Alana has your solution and it is simply lovely. ------------ -------------- --------------- ---------------- --------------- -------------- ----------------- Our lovely friend Heidi gifted us The Crafty Minx by Kelly Doust just recently. What a fantastic book! (Thanks Heidz).  It came at the perfect time as I've been looking for some simple projects to perfect my (non-existent) sewing skills. Wi