Skip to main content



The blog is born: JESSTRALIA

Apart from the obvious clever combination of words, you should know that the inspiration came from the local pronunciation of the country I now reside, ‘stralia. 

The purpose of this blog is to track my adventure, publish the beauty of Australia, tap into a new creative outlet, keep connected and share my experiences with family and friends. I am expecting this blog to include shout-outs, quotes, photos, experience summaries, personal insights, Australian goodies and interesting information!

Many of you witnessed the chaotic transition that was me moving to Australia. It was a time sprinkled with Austin outings, wine, cries, anxieties, hugs, sales, smiles and “see ya laters” instead of “goodbyes”. Words are a sorry excuse for the gratitude my heart explodes with for all of yall's support, encouragement, ears, love and help getting ready to leave.


I’ll start from the beginning because it only seems appropriate, plus it’s a good story I couldn’t tell at the time.


On the unusual bright winter day of January 11, 2012 my Mum drove me to Intercontinental Airport in Houston where I departed on the adventure I have been talking about for over two years. I flew from Houston to Phoenix to L.A. to Brisbane. I was by myself doing things the Jessica way and trying really hard to not loose my passport, wallet, jewelry and other valuables. Upon boarding the plane to Phoenix I was pressured to hand over my carry-on due to the lack of space for additional luggage. I was one of the last people on the plane and therefore felt a bit of pressure to move swiftly. During this self-induced demanding time I removed the above valuables and handed my bag over. It wasn’t until I sat down that I realized my computer was in my bag. I rushed to the front of the plane to request to retrieve my bag for a valuable I did not have the opportunity to remove. The airline refused my plea informing me that regulations prohibit them from allowing any retrieval of luggage after the cabin doors of the plane have been shut. Of course, I pleaded to a number of different people and the answer remained the same: No.

Well, talk about being thankful for yoga and meditation at a time like that. All I could do was breathe because the luggage had already been gently tossed into the cabin of the plane I was sitting in.  We arrived in Phoenix and again I was hit hard with “No, we cannot retrieve your luggage.” I was defeated and nervous but had no choice but to wait it out so I called Joanna to seek some comfort. Prayer, breath and that phone call got me through the next flight until I landed in L.A.. Without haste I dug through my intended carry with my heart beating hard in my chest to find my computer safe and sound with no damage thanks to my crammed packing.

I made a friend on the plane, watched a few movies, had a cocktail, did some writing and reflecting, took a nap and BAM we were there. I had arrived in Australia after 24 hours of traveling and skipping a day of the year (January 12th) I’ll never get back. I reclaimed my 200lbs of luggage, went through customs and headed to the domestic terminal in Brisbane to meet Mark. We hired a car and headed to the Sunshine Coast for a few days of rest, relaxation, holiday and my 27th birthday celebration.

The sunshine coast was a bit dreary during our time there so we did a lot of walking around, people watching and eating. One day we witnessed this guy building what looked like nothing and then slowly morphed itself into something. No one could live off of this profession, so we reckon that he had an argument with his father, took his trust fund money, moved to the beach, had a number of affairs with super models and spends his lonely days designing sand fairy houses on the beach in Mooloolaba. 

This was as far as we got. He took a long time. We got hungry.

Noosa Head beach where the ocean and a natural bushwalking preservation meet. A beautiful place with a ton of shops, surfers, eateries and beautiful scenary. These are the stairs to the life size treehouse that was Noosa Head.


Comments

  1. Thank you for sharing this with everyone! I am so glad you are enjoying life there so far, but desperately miss you. - Abby

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am really going to love keeping up with you in this way Jess! What a great way to channel your creative side and share your experiences with us! Plus, this'll be a great way to help teach me about the culture from a personal perspective to prepare me for the great adventure I hope to share with you at least on a very brief basis at the end of the year! Austrialia 2012 here I come! :o) ~ Dara

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pin Your Ears Back

Is a term I heard from my friend, Craig, at a rubgy (aka footy) game a couple of weeks ago. There was a player struggling to plunge his body forward towards his goal line. I inquired what this loud sportsmanship request meant because I couldn’t work it out. To much of Craig’s surprise, I had no idea what this phrase meant and I was unsure about the context just as I am unsure how many rugby players can be on the field at once. So, he simply explained that “Pin Your Ears Back” when and when not screamed by a proud but disappointed fan simply means “Just go for it.” I laughed and thought to myself “that is my next blog entry.” Gold Coast. Love little Alex in the corner. Rafting down the Barron River. Hunter Valley Winery Tour   The reason this statement resonated with me so much is because it is true. We MUST go for it. We must throw the fear to the side and dive, cannonball or pencil jump into the cold deep end. We must thrust ourselves forward, meet strangers, take

Turning Over a New Leaf

I love to eat. I do it at least five times a day because I am what they call a “snacker”. I have eaten a regular American diet most of my life, which means I have excluded no food from my diet (meat, plants, sugar, cooked, raw, etc). I love the taste, texture, cultural experiences and the warmth and comfort food provides. If you know me than you know 60% of my diet consists of raw plants anyways. On my recent visit to China I have found myself re-working what my food intake and aftermath experience means to me and have come to the conclusion that food is not just good; it is fuel and my main living source and something that I love to share. I have been experiencing changes all year, included but not limited to the country I live in, the job I have, the friends I surround myself with and the places I travel (inevitable the food I eat). I have grown exponentially this year constantly challenging myself to live a different place, take different jobs, make di

Bent Bookmarked Pages are so Yesterday

It is such a treat to have the bright, beautiful, inspirational blogger, crafter and vegan as a friend and guest poster. Alana is a generous and creative soul that calls Paddington, Australia home. I had the pleasure of getting to know her in my travels and found what it looks like when someone is truly and genuinely themselves and dedicated to authenticity. Alana is a walking, talking, cooking, studying, and crafting animal rights and eco friendly ethical soul. I dare you not to fall in love with her Ever get lost on the page you were reading? Alana has your solution and it is simply lovely. ------------ -------------- --------------- ---------------- --------------- -------------- ----------------- Our lovely friend Heidi gifted us The Crafty Minx by Kelly Doust just recently. What a fantastic book! (Thanks Heidz).  It came at the perfect time as I've been looking for some simple projects to perfect my (non-existent) sewing skills. Wi