Skip to main content

My Overseas Valentines and things


Walking to the grocery store listening to Adele tell me that me to “throw my soul into every open door” made me realize that I am in the beautiful city of Brisbane in the adventurous country of Australia alone but not lonely on Valentines Day. I was going to get the regular fruits, veggies and sliced chicken (bc it is much cheaper than the turkey here), BUT then I decided I would say “Happy Valentines Day Self!” I thought about one of the last meals I had in Austin and the meal that came to mind was with Krista at her house drinking Bundaburg Rum (from Australia – pictured below). There was a few of us there and with the combination of ingredients brought from our separate houses, we made a fabulous and intense meal of pumpkin ravioli with garlic roasted tomatoes. Although quite a winter meal, I decided the warm and comforting feeling it brought forth was worth it in the hot summer heat of Queensland. Besides, it was about to storm outside and cooling down and bit.  I bought the necessary ingredients, along with onion, zucchini, feta and Shiraz and headed home to love on myself the best way I know how: through my taste buds. I cooked and shared my wine with my very funny and great story-teller of a flat mate, Craig, not Greg as he adamantly proclaims. 



Dinner and Bundaberg with Krista in Austin, TX before the departure date!



Just to give you an idea, and to show you how appropriately inspired by Adele I actually was, here is a photo of my flat. A beautiful old Queenslander home with a huge open space in the lounge room and big wide windows/doors that open with welcome and ease. Also, people should be highly aware that there is NO central air here in Australia. Some people do not even have A/C units, also known as Air Cons here. People leave their windows ajar day and night to feel the breeze. If there are A/C units they are only in selected rooms in the house, mostly the lounge or master bedroom. What this means is that you don’t sleep with a blanket and sometimes not even a sheet and if you are lucky you have a fan. 


The cool air blows on me now as I write and my wine sinks with perfect gratitude.

This weekend I made it out both nights to see what Fortitude Valley had to offer. It looks much like Red River in Austin where you can find both trendy, alternative and classy looking people all out for various reasons: much needed beers after work, music shows, film festivals, dates, to find dates or fill lonely nights etc. I was there for drinks and experience, obviously. The second night I was actually there for a short film festival, which was interesting, different and quite enjoyable. It was called Flicker Fest.  They showed around 10 or so short 15-20 minute films.

I spent the weekend with new friends walking the South Bank City Walk (7 km city walk across the Story Bridge and around Kangaroo Point) where we saw people picnicking, abseiling, rock climbing, running, swimming at the Street Beach, biking, drinking and enjoying Sunday afternoon.  Whoever visits me here this is a MUST. During the day there are a ton of people but I hear that night walks are just as enjoyable and much much cooler, especially now.  South Bank has proven itself to be one of my most favorite places in Brisbane so far for all of the reasons listed above and more. Here are a few shots of South Bank and Brisbane River, which flows around the city in a snake form bringing diversity in sights and calm movement in a fast paced place.



 Street Beach

 
Brisbane River

Outside of the Queensland Art Museum

Each day I get up and dance 20 minutes to work. I wear my tennis bc comfort wins over fashion when you are 27 years old and have the feet of a 70 year old ex-marathon runner. I might not look cool but I feel it.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pin Your Ears Back

Is a term I heard from my friend, Craig, at a rubgy (aka footy) game a couple of weeks ago. There was a player struggling to plunge his body forward towards his goal line. I inquired what this loud sportsmanship request meant because I couldn’t work it out. To much of Craig’s surprise, I had no idea what this phrase meant and I was unsure about the context just as I am unsure how many rugby players can be on the field at once. So, he simply explained that “Pin Your Ears Back” when and when not screamed by a proud but disappointed fan simply means “Just go for it.” I laughed and thought to myself “that is my next blog entry.” Gold Coast. Love little Alex in the corner. Rafting down the Barron River. Hunter Valley Winery Tour   The reason this statement resonated with me so much is because it is true. We MUST go for it. We must throw the fear to the side and dive, cannonball or pencil jump into the cold deep end. We must thrust ourselves forward, meet strangers, take

Turning Over a New Leaf

I love to eat. I do it at least five times a day because I am what they call a “snacker”. I have eaten a regular American diet most of my life, which means I have excluded no food from my diet (meat, plants, sugar, cooked, raw, etc). I love the taste, texture, cultural experiences and the warmth and comfort food provides. If you know me than you know 60% of my diet consists of raw plants anyways. On my recent visit to China I have found myself re-working what my food intake and aftermath experience means to me and have come to the conclusion that food is not just good; it is fuel and my main living source and something that I love to share. I have been experiencing changes all year, included but not limited to the country I live in, the job I have, the friends I surround myself with and the places I travel (inevitable the food I eat). I have grown exponentially this year constantly challenging myself to live a different place, take different jobs, make di

Bent Bookmarked Pages are so Yesterday

It is such a treat to have the bright, beautiful, inspirational blogger, crafter and vegan as a friend and guest poster. Alana is a generous and creative soul that calls Paddington, Australia home. I had the pleasure of getting to know her in my travels and found what it looks like when someone is truly and genuinely themselves and dedicated to authenticity. Alana is a walking, talking, cooking, studying, and crafting animal rights and eco friendly ethical soul. I dare you not to fall in love with her Ever get lost on the page you were reading? Alana has your solution and it is simply lovely. ------------ -------------- --------------- ---------------- --------------- -------------- ----------------- Our lovely friend Heidi gifted us The Crafty Minx by Kelly Doust just recently. What a fantastic book! (Thanks Heidz).  It came at the perfect time as I've been looking for some simple projects to perfect my (non-existent) sewing skills. Wi