Skip to main content

Citrus Sweet and Cinnamony French Toast



Breakfast is considered to be the most important meal of the day. It is the meal that kickstarts your metabolism, wakes your body up and gives you the initial fuel you need for your brain to start activating critical thinking skills.

There are those that cannot turn down a thick stack of pancakes, a dense and icing filled cinnamon roll or a maple soaked waffle.  I am more of a savory food lover and have a preference for an egg omelet with a ton of veggies and spice with a buttered English muffin. However, every now and again I can handle a sultry sweet and tantalizing breakfast and most recently I was introduced to an ice cream toped citrus and sweet French toast breakfast and I haven’t stopped raving about it since.

In Australia they not only have options for French toast other than butter, powdered sugar and syrup, but in fact, it is not uncommon to have ice cream with breakfast, especially French toast. I went to a friend’s house for a “light” breakfast the other morning and discovered the hidden secrets of Pandora’s French toast recipe box.

Here is what you need:
Regular French toast ingredients (Bread, eggs, skillet and butter)
Make French toast how you would when your mom would make it on Christmas morning, but while it is still warm squeeze fresh lemon over the top and then sprinkle a pinch of sugar and however much cinnamon you want. Try and keep the toast warm while making the rest and when a stack is as high as you want it to go plate it and scoop some vanilla ice cream over it.

Have it with ginger lemon tea and bon appetite.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cricket, not the insect, the game

Remember when you were younger sitting in math class chewing on the end of your eraser watching the slow moving clock tic while swimming around in your head about all the practical jokes you’re going to play on your friends? Well, you can have this feeling again if you go to a cricket match. OR you can do what I did and people watch, learn enough about the game, listen to people call cops WANKA’s, talk to girls from Sydney and read the newspaper. You have three options for match lengths: 3 hours, 9 hours or 5 days.   I went to the 9 hour match and quickly checked cricket off of my bucket list. I’m partially joking, but only partially. Here is the thing. Cricket is like baseball but slower. It is a game that is introduced to little vegimites at a young age, played at BBQ’s and covered widely on the news. It is played at a similar open aired stadium and the seats sell out fairly quickly. One big difference: there is only one kind of beer sold at a cricket ...
The blog is born: JESSTRALIA Apart from the obvious clever combination of words, you should know that the inspiration came from the local pronunciation of the country I now reside, ‘stralia.  The purpose of this blog is to track my adventure, publish the beauty of Australia, tap into a new creative outlet, keep connected and share my experiences with family and friends. I am expecting this blog to include shout-outs, quotes, photos, experience summaries, personal insights, Australian goodies and interesting information! Many of you witnessed the chaotic transition that was me moving to Australia. It was a time sprinkled with Austin outings, wine, cries, anxieties, hugs, sales, smiles and “see ya laters” instead of “goodbyes”. Words are a sorry excuse for the gratitude my heart explodes with for all of yall's support, encouragement, ears, love and help getting ready to leave.

Hey, Australia Immigration, it’s me, Jess.

Yup, again.  I have fully enjoyed your country while I have been here for just over 5 months. The beautiful weather, breath taking scenery and landscapes, amazing and inspiring people, delicious seafood, curious but delicious meat pies, cappuccinos on every corner and rugby games are just a few things I have delighted in while here. I don’t feel finished exploring and loving your country quite yet though.   I understand that there is only one way for me to stay in Australia and that is through sponsorship through an employer. I feel safe blaming America’s ill fostered international relationship with Australia for the lack of other feasable options that allow me to contribute to the workforce.  Here is the thing, I am leaving for Texas in October for my best friend’s very special wedding and I need to know if I am going to find sponsorship before I book my flight mid August. So, here is my very specific request to the univers...