Skip to main content

Bent Bookmarked Pages are so Yesterday



It is such a treat to have the bright, beautiful, inspirational blogger, crafter and vegan as a friend and guest poster. Alana is a generous and creative soul that calls Paddington, Australia home. I had the pleasure of getting to know her in my travels and found what it looks like when someone is truly and genuinely themselves and dedicated to authenticity. Alana is a walking, talking, cooking, studying, and crafting animal rights and eco friendly ethical soul. I dare you not to fall in love with her

Ever get lost on the page you were reading? Alana has your solution and it is simply lovely.
------------ -------------- --------------- ---------------- --------------- -------------- -----------------

Our lovely friend Heidi gifted us The Crafty Minx by Kelly Doust just recently. What a fantastic book! (Thanks Heidz).  It came at the perfect time as I've been looking for some simple projects to perfect my (non-existent) sewing skills. Within the crafty crafty book of goodness there lay a cute idea for creating bookmarks out of fabric. The instructions required the ability to sew straight and cut straight. Two things I definitely thought I could master.

I started out following the book as a guide and then added my own little twists to the bookmarky dudes.

Here's how the story goes -
1. Begin by cutting two rectangle-shaped pieces of material 5cm by 23cm (I pinched mine from my dearest sister). Iron and pin them together so the good side of the material is facing outwards.
2. Cut along one of the 5cm sides of the rectangle with pinking shears. This side will later house some ribbon.
3. Sew around the three straight sides of the rectangle about 7mm away from the edge leaving the fourth side open for the ribbon.
A couple charity ribbon pins we had hanging around looked like they needed a second life - bookmark bling! The ribbons already came folded but if you're using other ribbon you will want to cut a piece about 13cm long, fold in half and iron into place.
4. Pop the ribbon into the open side and then sew over to close it all off.
5. Cut the remaining three sides with the pinking shears.

Now there's really only one thing left to do: grab a good book, brew a pot of chai and kick back with your brand new super-cute bookmark.









Love Alana xx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cricket, not the insect, the game

Remember when you were younger sitting in math class chewing on the end of your eraser watching the slow moving clock tic while swimming around in your head about all the practical jokes you’re going to play on your friends? Well, you can have this feeling again if you go to a cricket match. OR you can do what I did and people watch, learn enough about the game, listen to people call cops WANKA’s, talk to girls from Sydney and read the newspaper. You have three options for match lengths: 3 hours, 9 hours or 5 days.   I went to the 9 hour match and quickly checked cricket off of my bucket list. I’m partially joking, but only partially. Here is the thing. Cricket is like baseball but slower. It is a game that is introduced to little vegimites at a young age, played at BBQ’s and covered widely on the news. It is played at a similar open aired stadium and the seats sell out fairly quickly. One big difference: there is only one kind of beer sold at a cricket ...
The blog is born: JESSTRALIA Apart from the obvious clever combination of words, you should know that the inspiration came from the local pronunciation of the country I now reside, ‘stralia.  The purpose of this blog is to track my adventure, publish the beauty of Australia, tap into a new creative outlet, keep connected and share my experiences with family and friends. I am expecting this blog to include shout-outs, quotes, photos, experience summaries, personal insights, Australian goodies and interesting information! Many of you witnessed the chaotic transition that was me moving to Australia. It was a time sprinkled with Austin outings, wine, cries, anxieties, hugs, sales, smiles and “see ya laters” instead of “goodbyes”. Words are a sorry excuse for the gratitude my heart explodes with for all of yall's support, encouragement, ears, love and help getting ready to leave.

Hey, Australia Immigration, it’s me, Jess.

Yup, again.  I have fully enjoyed your country while I have been here for just over 5 months. The beautiful weather, breath taking scenery and landscapes, amazing and inspiring people, delicious seafood, curious but delicious meat pies, cappuccinos on every corner and rugby games are just a few things I have delighted in while here. I don’t feel finished exploring and loving your country quite yet though.   I understand that there is only one way for me to stay in Australia and that is through sponsorship through an employer. I feel safe blaming America’s ill fostered international relationship with Australia for the lack of other feasable options that allow me to contribute to the workforce.  Here is the thing, I am leaving for Texas in October for my best friend’s very special wedding and I need to know if I am going to find sponsorship before I book my flight mid August. So, here is my very specific request to the univers...